Before the course
- Can you help me to find accommodation in Munich?
We can suggest some contacts for accommodation but most people find their accommodation through the usual short-term lodging sites such as Air BNB.
- I’m a native speaker but am not always sure of the grammar, what should I do?
This is quite normal, as a native speaker you tend not to know the ins and outs of your language. The pre-course task and some sessions during the course will help you with this.
- English is not my first language, can I do the course?
Yes, as long as your English is native speaker level (ideally C2)
- Do I need to be able to speak a foreign language?
Although it is not necessary, if you have learned a foreign language you will have a better understanding of the learning process.
- How old do I have to be to do the course?
It is recommended that candidates are over 20 years old (18 at the centre’s discretion). You need to show that you are capable of studying at a higher education level.
- Do I need to have had teaching experience to do the course?
No, CELTA is an entry level certificate and contains all the elements you need to help you teach for the first time.
- I already have teaching experience but no formal qualifications, is this course for me?
Experienced teachers have completed the CELTA course with us and have “learned a lot”. The disadvantage of coming in with some experience is that bad habits are hard to shake.
- Does it matter where I take the CELTA course? Are some courses better than others?
No, the CELTA course is a standardized course and is externally assessed to ensure the standards are maintained, no matter in which centre the course is conducted.
- Where is the Munich Volkshochschule CELTA course held?
The Courses are held in Gasteig, Munich. Gasteig is Europes largest cultural centre and houses the Philharmonic as well as the Munich library.
- What resources are available to me during the course?
The centre has wifi and you will be offered photocopying facilities (please bring a USB with your materials saved as a PDF)
- Do I have to have an interview in person?
If it is not possible for you to get to the centre for an interview in person, we will arrange an interview via Skype.
Preparation for the course
What books can I read to help prepare myself?
- Learning Teaching by Jim Scrivener
- The Ultimate Guide to CELTA by Emma Jones and Amanda Momeni
- Practical English Usage by Michael Swan